LPD Flight IIA revises the configuration of the LPD 17 Class Ship’s proven baseline design to provide adaptable space and weight for a full range of future mission requirements and payloads. Flight II is a cost-effective alternative to a new unproven design.
How is Flight IIA different than LPD 17?
- Flight IIA reduces troop capacity from 800 to 500. This reduction leads to the elimination or modification to associated spaces such as habitability, work spaces, stores, etc.
- Medical facilities such as wards and operating rooms are reduced by 50 percent.
- The helicopter hangar and associated aviation workspaces and storage are eliminated.
- The MK 46 30mm gun weapon system is replaced with a MK 38 Mod 2 remote controlled 25mm chain gun providing offensive and defensive ability.
- RCS features on masts, bulwarks and boat stations are eliminated topside and internal CPS zones are reduced from five to one.
- The mission of the ship to serve as an amphibious command and control platform is eliminated and associated equipment is deleted.
- The AN/SPS-48E air search radar is replaced with a TRS-3D which is currently outfitted on the National Security Cutter providing a more suitable sensor for its mission.
- Cooperative engagement is eliminated.
What’s the same as LPD 17?
- Hull form and machinery spaces
- Overall ship dimensions.
- Passageway width
- Arrangement of inclined ladders for ease of access
- Co-location of armories with troop berthing
- Overall high quality of life aboard
- Weapons capability
- Flight deck fueling capacity and helicopter control station maintained with a newly designed helo hangar.