LX(R) revises the configuration of the LPD 17 Class Ship’s proven baseline design to provide adaptable space and weight for a full range of future mission requirements and payloads. LX(R) is a cost-effective alternative to a modified proven design.
What’s the same as LPD 17?
- Hull form and machinery spaces
- Overall ship dimensions
- Passageway width
- Arrangement of inclined ladders for ease of access
- Co-location of armories with troop berthing
- Overall high quality of life aboard
- Weapons capability
- Vehicle square, landing craft and aviation capability
How is LPD Derivative different than LSD?
- Upgraded Combat Systems that includes CEC, RAM BLK 2, SEWIP BLK 2, NULKA and NIXIE
- Survivability improvements comprising of structural strengthening against whipping, fragmentation protection, CPS and water mist fire fighting
- Greater Airport facilities: Hangar for CH-53, MV-22 or AH/UH-1 aircraft, O-level maintenance amenities, 43,000 lb bridge crane, 15 ton mobile crane
- Lift differences include 8,000 sf more vehicle capacity than Harpers Ferry-class LSD and larger troop capability: 630 vs 500
- Level 2 Hospital capability with 2 ORs, 18 wards, 6 ICUs and 2 dental ORs
- Enhanced C4ISRT with both CIC and LFOC including LINK 16, JREAP-C, GBS, SSEE Inc F, Intelligence Carry On Program GCCS-M, CENTRIX and CANES
- More efficient Seaport capabilities include an electro-hydraulic stern gate, full service boat repair, rapid ballast and well deck for 2 LCAC / Ship-to-shore connector or 1 LCU
- General arrangement improvements to better accommodate new mission capabilities such as Distributed Lethality
- Centralized hydraulics replaced with electric equipment and point of use hydraulic systems
- Legacy A/C replaced with high more efficiency plants